Thursday, August 19, 2010

I think my kitten is half bobcat. How would I figure out if she is? Any websites or advice is welcome!?

My kitten was given to me free in the mountains on the Pennsylvania and West Virginia border. Some people, including my Vet, have said she has all the characteristics of a half bobcat/half tabby. When we got her, the owner said she was a long-haired tabby, which is obviosly not true because she has never had the long, fluffy hair that a long-haired tabby would have. Here are the characteristics that I believe make her half bobcat:





1. her coat is not shorthair but not longhair. it's soft and the ';tabby'; stripes are not as pronounced as my other tabby cat.


2. her tail is abnormally long. she never holds it up, but instead, she lets it fall between her legs and it curls up at the end (much like a wild big cat would)


3. her ears, which are large, have very white tufts coming out of them.


4. her coloring is very much similiar to the greyish/white of a bobcat.


5. her fur around her neck and under her chin is very ';mane-like';. Its longer then the rest of her fur and has speckles of a tan color.


6. her activites include, trying to climb the walls.I think my kitten is half bobcat. How would I figure out if she is? Any websites or advice is welcome!?
I thought bob cats had short tails? anyhow doyou have a photo.... it sounds like a beautiful catI think my kitten is half bobcat. How would I figure out if she is? Any websites or advice is welcome!?
Bob cats don't have long tails. They have stubs. Also if she is half bobcat she would be pissing all over your house to mark her territory, destroying everything in your house by clawing it up. Also, bobcats do not have manes. The holding up her tail thing has nothing to do with a bob cat.
DNA testing is the only way to really know
Have a D.N.A. test done and that will tell you.
From your description she's not half bobcat, they have shortened tails or stub tails, not longer ones.





A lot of cats have variation in tabby markings. And many semi-long hairs (medium length coat) have a mane on the neck. Bobcat crosses have wider cheek fur that sort of look like jowels, not manes on the neck/shoulder area.





The ears would be tipped with long hairs, if half bobcat. The inside tufts woulnd't be anything special. Their hind legs usually are a bit longer than the front, as well, giving them the look of walking downhill a tad.
  • alvinarf
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment