Sunday, August 22, 2010

Any good advice, basset or dog training books or websites?

I have a 10 week old Basset/Lab mix puppy. I want to read about how scent dogs are trained. I would also like to read about training service dogs. I am just interested in different dog training methods. She is such a smart puppy that I worry that if I don't keep her properly stimulated mentally she could cause all kinds of mischief.





I could also use some advice. There is about an hour soon after each of my puppy's mealtimes that she is really hyper. I know that a nice long walk would be a great way to use the extra energy but Bassets are prone to bloat and should not be exercised immediately before or after a meal. I try to direct her energy towards her toys but she likes to jump on my two year old when she is at her most hyper. She bites my daughter's hands and arms and steals her blankie. If I keep her on leash I can control her but off leash she can be a little terrorist. We are working on the ';leave it'; and ';drop'; commands (amongst other basic commands) because those seem like they would be the most useful in this situation. Does anybody have any advice on dealing with a really mouthy puppy? Any tips on helping her to outgrow this habit a little more quickly?Any good advice, basset or dog training books or websites?
Ah. A Bassedor. That's a nice mix actually.





For general puppy raising, consider these titles:


http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?I鈥?/a>


http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?I鈥?/a>


http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?I鈥?/a>





The classic book on scent training is Glen Johnson's.


http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?I鈥?/a>





The theory in his book is excellent, but his training techniques are geared toward German Shepherds which are more biddable and less independent than scent hounds. You might get better mileage from _Enthusiastic Tracking_.


http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?I鈥?/a>





For books on service dogs and how they are trained, check out Teamwork I and II.


http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?I鈥?/a>





BTW, Dogwise has any book about dogs you can ever imagine. It's worth a good browse.





For mouthiness, the best cure is puppy Kindergarten. Bite inhibition training is generally best done by mom and litter mates, but when they aren't available a supervised puppy play group, such as those at puppy Kindergarten classes, should be an adequate substitute. The instructor can also give you tips on handling mouthiness customized to your specific puppy. Different techniques will be selected based on the kind of mouthiness, the temperament of the pup, and what techniques have already been tried.





For quiet time training, look into exercising the mind instead of the body. Try clicker training. It helps to teach a certain amount of self control, but to a larger extent it teaches focus. You can teach quiet activities like yawning on command, waving, resting head on chin, touching a target with the nose or paw, and so on.





I really like the ';Take a Bow Wow'; videos for clicker training and used copies are often available on eBay. Also check out Peggy Tilman's _Clicking with Your Dog_.





Here are some sites with ideas for and tips on clicker training tricks:


http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles鈥?/a>


http://www.clickertraining.com/fun_n_han鈥?/a>Any good advice, basset or dog training books or websites?
Here's a great book you can download and read for FREE:





http://www.dogstardaily.com-train-aft
this link for dog training books





http://www.truveotube.com/dog_training.b鈥?/a>
Hi, I once adopted a dog from the local shelter and I had a terrible time trying to train him. Whenever he was left alone he would make a real mess! Anything I said was always just a suggestion to him that he could ignore. He was so rambunctious. He would not do anything I said.


I tried lessons with the local trainer but those didn't work! But then I found a great dog training book series called ';My Dog Tutor';. I got my hands on these books and was able to fully train my dog in 4 weeks, I was so proud.


Now I'm thinking about adopting a 3rd dog because it's just so easy to train them now!
For basic training you can visit my web site. At the moment I don't have anything about scent training, but it will come soon, so bookmark my site and visit it often.


Anyway before you can scent train your puppy, you should first do basic obedience. The come command is especially important with these kind of dogs that like to follow their noses.


It is very normal for a young puppy to be very hyper after meals. The best is to make that time a real fun playtime with your pup. They grow out of that so quickly and later you are sorry you didn't play with him more. So let your spouse look after the baby and take the puppy outside and play. Do not just give her the toys, get involved, they want interaction with their humans.


About mouthing: if the puppy bites you, growl very loud. She will stop. If she is a bit stubborn, growl even louder. If she stops, put something else in her mouth that she may chew.

No comments:

Post a Comment