Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I would like to know information about bettas. Can you give me any helpful advice and websites please!?

Thanks a bunch!! ^^I would like to know information about bettas. Can you give me any helpful advice and websites please!?
These links have a lot of good advice on bettas: http://www.bettatalk.com/


http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/h鈥?/a>


http://justbettas.home.insightbb.com/


http://bettas.fishjunkies.com/index.php





Just provide a good environment (I like at least 2.5 gallon tanks with a heater and small filter), some decor (live of fake plants, driftwood,etc. to explore), and a nice variety of foods (pellets, bloodworms, daphnia, and an occassional cooked pea with the skin removed).I would like to know information about bettas. Can you give me any helpful advice and websites please!?
For some reason last time I tried to give you this website it wouldn't copy. But now it did so I hope you enjoy it, it's really great!


http://www.bettatalk.com/
This is a good one.





http://www.bettatalk.com/





There is a section there on diseases, remedies, and medicines.
I wrote this answer recently to someone asking a question about what kind of fish are easy to take care of and I'm too lazy to edit it to fit your question, but there's a lot of info here for you =)





I've found that compared to tank fish such as goldfish or tropical fish, they are quite low-maintenance. (I've had bettas before and currently have goldfish).





If you want something really small and simple and pretty go for a Siamese fighting fish, more commonly known and sold as the ';betta'; I'll refer to them as ';betta'; in here because it's easier =). (So if you are going to do any research on bettas, for proper information search ';Siamese fighting fish';). *Note*: bettas live alone, unless the tank is big enough and has plants or little castles and logs for them to hide behind. Otherwise they fight and the bigger and stronger one may eventually kill the other one. They can also live together peacefully if you mix the genders, but do some research on this before you get into it because it's more than mixing the genders: it has to be done right, I myself have never done it.





Here's what I did to set up my tank: I just got a really big, nice looking vase from Ikea for like $1, the fish itself was around $5, food was like $2, some pretty decorative rocks again from Ikea $1, and no special treatment drops for the water: all you have to do is let tap water sit for 24 hours and the chlorine evaporates. (If your tap water has a lot of crazy additives you can buy the treatment drops for $10). Some people change their water 2 or 3 times a week, I did mine weekly or sometimes even every 10 days (when I got lazy :-O). It all depends on how dirty your fish is. Also remember never to use soap when cleaning the tank, this will kill the fish.





As you can see, bettas are quite low maintenance, they don't need a filter (because while they use their gills to breathe, bettas actually also breathe through their mouths like humans do through their noses so that's why you will often see them swim to the surface of the water and take a gulp. They are also quite ';hardy'; fish and can take a lot more than other fish. As a result you can see how they would be able to live in water that's not constantly being filtered or aerated). Bettas also don't need a heater (as long as you don't put them right next to an A/C fan or any other location where the temperature is always fluctuating) and they don't need an excessively huge tank either.





I wouldn't recommend getting PLASTIC plants because my first betta's beautiful long fins got stuck in the plants once. He got really injured from this and died shortly after (real plants are probably not a problem, but because of my experience I never bought plants for my bettas). Another thing to keep in mind is that bettas are known to jump, so a lid may be necessary to keep your fish in his home.





So, for $10 you can get yourself a fish that's really nice to look at and pretty easy to care for. You can also have a lot of fun with them with mirrors. They go crazy because they think another fish is there and they flare up their gills and follow the mirror fish around. Some people may think this is stressing on the fish, but if you do it now and then it's actually good for the fish (some say it's therapeutic) because he gets to feel dominant and the fighting is in their nature. Plus it makes their day a little more interesting than swimming around the tank!





Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask =)

No comments:

Post a Comment